Vietnamese Braised Pork Ribs
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 stalks of lemongrass, tough outer layer removed, smash and finely chop the white ends
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 Tablespoon hot chilli sauce (we use Sambal Oelek)
- 2 limes, zested and juiced
- 1 chilli, seeds removed and chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Chinese 5 spice
- 1 Tablespoon grated garlic
- 2 Tablespoons peeled and grated ginger
- 2 kg baby back ribs
- 3 spring onions, sliced for garnish
- Coriander and mint sprigs for garnish
Mix all on the marinade ingredients together and pour over the racks of ribs in a deep baking or roasting dish. Use your hands to coat all the ribs with the marinade and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.
- Heat oven to 230 degrees C.
- Add 2 cups of water to the pan around the ribs, cover tightly with foil and cook for 30 minutes.
- Reduce the oven to 180 degrees for one hour. The meat should be very tender.
- Remove foil and return to the oven to brown which should take about 15 minutes.
- Remove the ribs and pour the juices into a pan. Reduce over a high heat until somewhat thickened, approx 5 minutes. Meanwhile, divide the ribs with a sharp knife and keep warm on a platter.
- Pour over the reduced sauce, garnish with spring onions, coriander and mint and serve with steamed rice.
The ribs can be cooked a day in advance leaving the foil on. Reheat and brown before serving.